Shepherd of the Valley honored with Quality Improvement Award
Shepherd of the Valley’s communities were recently recognized for its participation in the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) Ohio Nursing Home Quality Care Collaborative (NHQCC) initiative managed by Health Services Advisory Group (HSAG), the Medicare Quality Improvement Organization (QIO) for Ohio.
- Niles achieved Platinum level recognition, one of only 17 facilities in the state to receive this level
- Boardman achieved Silver level recognition
- Howland achieved Bronze level recognition
The NHQCC seeks to achieve large-scale improvements in nursing homes throughout the state of Ohio by working collaboratively with facilities on a variety of clinical and organizational initiatives including:
- Reducing healthcare-acquired conditions.
- Reducing antipsychotic medication rates.
- Reducing avoidable hospital readmissions.
- Participating in Quality Assurance & Performance Improvement (QAPI) initiatives.
- Increasing influenza and pneumococcal vaccination rates.
- Reducing staff turnover and implementing consistent assignment.
- Improving rates of resident mobility.
- Earning a Quality Measure Composite Score of 6 percent or less, based on the 13 long-stay quality measures publicly reported on Nursing Home Compare.
Shepherd of the Valley earned its recognition by actively participating in NHQCC quality-improvement learning opportunities, designating staff members for its NHQCC team, assessing its current QAPI status, and identifying potential performance improvement project opportunities within the facility.
“We are proud to have Shepherd of the Valley partnering with us in the Ohio NHQCC,” said James H. Barnhart III, BSH, LNHA, HSAG Quality Improvement Project Lead. “This is a collaborative effort across our state to improve the quality of care and quality of life for Ohio nursing home residents. Working together with Gold-Level facilities like this we can achieve our goals!”
For more information about HSAG’s nursing home quality improvement work, visit www.hsag.com/ohnursinghome.